Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Avatar




Dec 2009, James Cameron, 162 mins

James Cameron has held many titles in his lengthy film career; Oscar Winner, King of the World, Living Legend. With Avatar, he is the writer and director; one of these titles, he excelled in and the other... not so much.

Avatar is a monumental film. The 3D design and imagery breakthroughs put it on a level not seen in any film, ever. Cameron’s ingenious direction of CGI, live-action, and green screen landscapes make the film stand out as an achievement in art. At the same time, the story fails to develop.


With all the grandeur, and believe me the film is grand, the narrative and side love story sink faster than the Titanic. The first 2 hours begin to drag after the initial shock of the world of Pandora is shown. There is a memorable villain but a villain that pretty much just points at things and drinks coffee. This is as far as my negativity will go.


Avatar is the most visually stunning movie I have ever seen. The world Cameron has created is a thing of pure and un-clichéd beauty. From the majestic living trees, the luminescent habitat, to the flying dinosaur-type beasts, it’s a wonder to watch.


The film’s lead, Sam Worthington (Terminator: Salvation) does a fine job at being a dull marine with a heart that, somehow, isn't so destroyed by war that he has lost hope for humanity. Though, the film does make you wonder about the nature of humanity. When does the human race become the Alien invader that planets are fearful of? What happens if we are the flashing light in the sky or the yellow orb that scares the natives? What if we created the war of the worlds?


The film has the normal screenplay beats to it. The acts follow a standard procedure. Cameron has not reinvented the movie; he has reinvented the viewer. No longer can films get by with blowing up built-to-scale White Houses with cherry bombs and stop motion lenses. Now it needs to literally jump from the screen at you. If you see this movie, see it big and loud and bright. Go to your nearest IMAX 3D cinema and see it right.


The special effects now have a special affect, finally. You can’t watch this masterpiece of visionary creativity without gasping at the incredible visuals. It’s honestly amazing. For two and half hours, your eyes will go “WOW!” It’s too bad that every now and then, your mind will go “wait...what?”


5 comments:

  1. I saw this movie too and couldn't agree with you more. Too long a movie for such weak writing even though tech was super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen the movie, but I plan to. This review helps me know what to expect and what not to expect. I'll go in with my "eyes open" in more ways than one. I'll also report back after I see it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not interested in seeing Avatar until I read this review and his reviews of movies that I have already seen. His reviews are balanced, articulate and insightful. Since I agree with his commentaries on "up in the air" and "inglorious basterds," he must be right-on about Avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this makes sense. Maybe I'll stay for an hour to get the effects but not waste my whole evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly agree with your comment about the visual effects and artwork being absolutely stunning in this movie. The creativity that went into the design of this world was extraordinary!

    I completely respect your opinions and your review, however I wildly disagree with your comment about the failing story. I felt that this movie had multiple layers of meaning that I am worried will become lost on viewers caught up in only the grandeur of the visuals. Regardless of what meaning Cameron intended, themes that have arisen from my discussions with others include colonization, depletion and consumption of natural resources, war, ethnic intolerance, spirituality, morality, and so on. One, two, or none of these may be correct, however, this movie is getting people to think and to talk. I hope that viewers can be awed by the visual effects of this movie while still appreciating the layers of meaning that it holds.

    ReplyDelete